Copywriter – Integer Group – Des Moines, IA
Lead writer responsible for the creation of print, digital, video, radio, direct mail and other marketing materials for agency’s largest and longest-running retail client.
- Helped increase client’s direct mail response rates by 70% simply by introducing battle-tested direct-response tactics
- Working closely with Creative Director, helped launch rebrand of client’s retail advertising materials
- At any given time, provide copywriting help to five other agency clients, plus offer assistance on new-business pitches as needed
- Serve as lead writer for agency’s bimonthly employee newsletter
Copywriter – American Enterprise – Des Moines, IA
(June 2006-March 2011)
Wrote consumer marketing and sales communications materials that helped my company: find new customers, recruit new agents and educate and inform its sales force.
- Created direct response materials for a variety of media, including direct mail, newspaper, magazine, newsletter, Web, radio and television
- Planned, wrote and distributed weekly sales communications to a nationwide network of insurance agents
- Conceptualized, wrote and led creative development of quarterly newsletter for career sales distribution of American Enterprise
- Developed recruiting materials for both career and independent sales distribution channels
- Acted as Corporate Communication Specialist responsible for delivering information to entire company in a timely manner (11/07-6/08)
Marketing Communications Consultant – Marsh, West Des Moines, IA (March 2004-June 2006)
Developed and implemented communications strategies for Fortune 500 and 1000 companies’ voluntary benefits programs.
- Developed all aspects of communications campaign, including creative, schedule, budget, production and measurement
- Wrote copy for various employer communication channels, including direct mail, newsletter articles, and internal communications
- Part of a two-person team that managed weekly direct mail goal of 71,000 pieces
- Managed special projects related to new creative development, cross-sell initiatives, creative tests, training and process documentation
Marketing Strategist – ITAGroup, West Des Moines, IA
(July 2003-March 2004)
Developed customized marketing solutions focused on increasing employee performance for Fortune 500 and 1000 customers.
- Used event management experience to identify areas for growth amongst existing and new customers
- Served as the primary resource for leading the response to Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
- Created and maintained promotional materials that outlined ITAGroup’s core competencies in event management
- Responsible for ongoing relationship building with Account Executives, customers and internal team members
Lead Program Writer – ITAGroup, West Des Moines, IA
(August 2000-July 2003)
Mentoring position included the following responsibilities, above and beyond those outlined in “Program Writer” position described below.
- Managed a team of five Program Writers
- Served as the primary department proofreader
- Generated internal company communications and Event Management division promotional materials
- Reviewed resumes and assisted in interviewing prospective Program Writers
- Facilitated internal training sessions
Account Coordinator – KN Integer, Des Moines, IA
(February 2000-August 2000)
Worked with creative and production staff to create corporate and retail marketing materials.
- Coordinated the creative development, planning and placement of retail advertising promotions for various client sales branches
- Created PowerPoint presentations for use in tradeshows and client presentations
- Coordinated creative development of public relations event signage
- Served in backup role as Traffic Coordinator
Program Writer – ITAGroup, West Des Moines, IA
(March 1998-February 2000)
Served as the point person for the development of pre-sale communications for an industry-leading incentive marketing company.
- Creative copywriting responsibilities included developing materials such as, but not limited to, proposals, presentations and misc. client communications
- Resided on editorial staff of monthly company newsletter
- Served as the department lead responsible for the development of PowerPoint presentations to be used in client meetings
- Proofread proposal and contract documents for other team members
Marketing Intern – Communication Design, Lincoln, NE
(October 1996-March 1998)
Worked full and part-time – while in school – for a small integrated marketing communications firm.
- Developed copy for direct mail brochures that promoted an interactive learning video series for grade school and middle school students
- Proofread and revised agency-developed materials
- Coordinated production schedules with certain suppliers
- Performed misc. administrative duties as needed
University of Nebraska at Lincoln
B.J. in Advertising, December 1997
Minors: English, Marketing and Psychology
GPA: 3.157 cumulative; 3.5 in major
Dean’s List: Fall 1996, Spring 1997, Fall 1997